Debris barrel fire spreads

A resident in the 1000 block of Lakeview in Mexico who decided to burn yard waste on Thursday afternoon accidentally set several lawns ablaze.

Firefighters with the Mexico Public Safety Department extinguished the fire, but not before it melted siding on two homes and damaged an air conditioning unit. Investigators say a resident was burning yard waste in a barrel but went inside for a short amount of time. Burning debris from the barrel caught the resident’s yard on fire, and the fire spread into two neighboring yards before being noticed by another neighbor.

There were no injuries from the incident.

User login